Thursday, July 28, 2011

That First Draft

I’ve just finished the first draft of my third novel Thief’s Heartache, and it got me thinking about first drafts. It always feels like an accomplishment, finishing that draft, but at the same time, it feels like I’ve only just started a journey. Writing a novel is a process, and it’s one I thoroughly enjoy. However, I have to admit that pounding out that first draft isn’t a whole lot of fun.

Then it occurred to me that the first draft isn’t supposed to be fun. It’s the work part of writing a novel. The fun starts after you finish that first draft. The beauty of creating revisions, the excitement of perfecting your story, and the sheer joy of finishing your book … all these things are what makes writing so much fun for me. The first draft is only the beginning of the process.

And that beginning can be a painful one. Getting started and mastering the basics of fiction writing is no small thing. Putting those ideas on paper and getting them to take on a form that makes a certain degree of sense is not always easy, and many people have asked me where I start when tackling the maze that is the first draft. The answer isn’t necessarily what you’d expect.

I start by reading. I read something in the genre I’m attempting to write. There is endless inspiration to be found by reading the work of respected authors in your own genre. I’m a fantasy writer, so I read Robert Jordan, Terry Brooks, Lord Dunsany, JRR Tolkien, and even Mercedes Lackey. These authors, along with many others, never fail to inspire me to write.

I also keep a journal of my thoughts for a few days. I think carefully about what type of plot I might like to pursue and write everything down. Usually, somewhere in those scribbled notes I can find the basics of a novel outline. And from this outline, my first draft can emerge. And though my first draft bears little resemblance to the finished product, I can rest a little easier knowing the hardest part is done.

So how do you go about completing your own first draft? I don’t know. Everyone is different. All I can tell you is that if you don’t get through that first draft, you’ll never finish that novel.